Filing a Claim

[st_row id_wrapper=”elm_5d347bc34ac51″ ][st_column span=”span12″][st_text text_margin_top=”12″ text_margin_left=”12″ text_margin_bottom=”12″ text_margin_right=”12″ wrapper_padding_top=”12″ wrapper_padding_left=”12″ wrapper_padding_bottom=”12″ wrapper_padding_right=”12″ wrapper_bg_color=”#ffffff” wrapper_shadow=”2″ id_wrapper=”text_03fb30bf54228a9bf2b7a5eb88d3ce69″ ]Veterans Benefit Claims Veterans need not be alone in their battles for benefits and medical care. Veterans are often forced to wage war against the paperwork and bureaucracy of government in order to get medical care or benefits. Here’s some good news: American Legion Service Officers offer free advice and guidance for veterans who need to deal with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  Click here to find the closest VSO to you. Important documents that may be needed to support a VA disability claim. Please have the following ready when you make your call:

  • DD Form 214 (Issued at the time of separation) ***
  • Service Medical Records (Outpatient), dental records, entrance and separation examination reports
  • Inpatient Hospitalization Records (private or military)
  • Private Outpatient Medical Records (if applicable)
  • Personnel File
  • Line of Duty (LOD) investigation reports
  • Overseas or Temporary Duty (Travel) Orders

*** Separating personnel should ensure that all of the information (including awards, overseas time, campaigns, RE code, etc.) on the DD 214 is correct before signing. Uncorrected errors may cause problems in the future when applying for VA and other benefits. Back to the “RESOURCES” Menu How to Retrieve your DD-214 Online Military Honors for Our Deceased Veterans[/st_text][/st_column][/st_row]